The County Clerk is responsible for determining the acceptability, not the legal sufficiency of documents presented for filing. Questions regarding the legal sufficiency of any document should be referred to an attorney.
The following is a short summary of Business and Professions Code. For the complete code, click here.
Any person, corporation, or partnership whose principal place of business is in San Bernardino County and who makes more than 10 services of process within this state during one calendar year for compensation must file and maintain a verified certificate of registration as a Process Server with the San Bernardino Recorder-County Clerk.
Filing via Certified Mail Instructions:
- Print and sign the application and attach the supporting documentation as indicated on the application. (Complete application using the blue boxes above)
- Attach the following documentation with your submission:
- The “Certificate of Registration as a Process Server” form which must be completed and signed
- Original bond in the amount of $2,000 which must be signed by the principal. The bond must be valid for the two (2) year term of the registration and show a start and end date.
- Document Coversheet to be added to the bond for recording completed with the name, return mailing address, and document title “Process Server Bond”. The cover sheet is available on our website at www.sbcountyarc.org.
- “Request for Live Scan” form that has been signed by the transmitting agency (not required if renewing and there has been no lapse of time from the previous filing)
- Copy of a valid, government-issued, photo identification.
- 1 passport size photograph for the I.D. card
- Applicable Fees, you can calculate the fees by using the fee calculator found on our website at www.sbcountyarc.org or you can simply write a “Not to exceed” check. The not-to-exceed amount must be written on the memo line as the clerk must write in the actual amount. Please make your preprinted check or money order made payable to “County Recorder”
- Please include a daytime phone number including the area code and a self-addressed stamped envelope for us to return the originally recorded bond.
- Address: San Bernardino County Clerk 222 W. Hospitality Lane San Bernardino, CA 92415.