Notary Public Requirements
Once the commission has been issued, a person has 30 calendar days from the beginning of the term prescribed in the commission to take, subscribe, and file an oath of office and file a $15,000 surety bond with the County Clerk’s Office.
The commission does not take effect until the oath and bond are filed with the County Clerk’s Office. If the oath and bond are not filed within the 30-calendar-day time period, the commission will not be valid, and the person commissioned may not act as a notary public until a new appointment is obtained and the person has properly qualified within the 30-calendar-day time limit.
The filing must take place in the county where the notary public maintains a principal place of business as shown in the application on file with the Secretary of State. If the commission indicates a county other than San Bernardino, contact that county for further information regarding their filing and fee requirements.
GC8213(a) permits the filing of completed oaths and bonds by the applicable county clerk by certified mail. Exceptions are not made to the 30-day filing requirement due to mail service delays, county clerk mail processing delays, or for any other reason. If mailing an oath and bond to the county clerk, sufficient time must be allowed by the newly appointed notary public to ensure timely filing. (GC8212, 8213).
Duration of Commission
The term of office of a notary public is for four years commencing with the date specified in the commission.
By Certified Mail-
- Copy of notary commission certificate issued from the California Secretary of State
- Two (2) completed oaths of office, signed and subscribed before another notary public located in the same county where the filing is to take place
- Original bond in the amount of $15,000 indicating the same dates referenced on the oaths of office for a term of four (4) years and signed by notary (principal)
- Copy of bond to be conformed (optional) and a self-addressed, stamped envelope
- Document Cover Sheet to be added to the bond for recording and is to be completed with the return mailing address and document title of “Notary Public Bond”
- Applicable Fees, payable with a preprinted check or money order
- Please include a daytime phone number including area code
- Address: San Bernardino County Clerk 222 W. Hospitality Lane San Bernardino, CA 92415
In Person (Currently Not Available)